Headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, the Utah Chinese Center (UCC) was established as a 501(c)(3) organization in 1989. UCC’s primary mission is to promote cultural exchange and understanding between Chinese and American cultures.
UCC accomplishes it’s mission through Joint Education Programs, Educational Exchange Programs, Educator Exchange Programs, Trade Missions, and Chinese language programs in Salt Lake City.
Joint Education Programs include:
- Utah Institute of Science and Technology (UIST), a joint program established on the campus of Shanghai Teachers’ University in Shanghai, China in cooperation with the University of Utah, Weber State University, and Salt Lake Community College.
- Nursing Program established between Salt Lake Community College and the Shanghai Medical Workers College in Shanghai, China as well as Weber State University and Heilongjiang Forestry Health College in Jiamusi, China.
- Logistics and Multi-media Programs established between Salt Lake Community College and Luoyang University in the Henan Province in China.
- Shanghai Oriental Rostrum Training Programs in Shanghai China in which specific training sessions in the areas of Public Safety, Homeland Security, and Volunteer Recruitment are provided by Utah governmental agencies, Salt Lake Community College, and Weber State University.
- Art Exhibitions from rural farmers in China exhibited Chinese paintings in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Educational Exchange Programs:
UCC has arranged over 40 grade school through university – level students to exchange programs over the past several decades between China, Taiwan, and the United States (Arizona, Montana, Ohio, Utah). These exchange programs range from orchestral and band exchange to language intensive programs to training programs between government agencies.
Educator Exchange Programs:
UCC has long established an educator exchange program between several universities in China and the United States. University-level educators from each country visits the other as a visiting scholar and teaches students his/her expertise for 1 – 2 semesters.
Chinese language and culture classes:
UCC first started as establishing a Chinese school in Salt Lake City, Utah. This school teaches a variety of classes primarily to teach second generation Chinese Americans how to read and speak Chinese. Classes for native English speaking adults are also available. Chinese school also offers classes from calligraphy to Chinese ribbon dance when qualified teachers are available.